The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Drummond Hill (NN749454; 460m)

Tues 16 May


I think I'm going to manage to be reasonably succinct today!

Large zig-zags on forest tracks took me indirectly, but very easily, up to a dip on the ridge about a kilometre to the east of my top. Enormous tyre tracks, that made me feel like I was a friend of Thumbelina, took me a distance along the ruined wall that runs along the ridge. Moss and grass were underfoot (along with many trip hazards) for the final distance through widely spaced old woodland.

The views from the top were limited and woody:


I did, however, take the short detour (in the rain) to the signposted viewpoint about half way down:


It was an inoffensive but uninspiring couple of hours of exercise (5.2 miles, 330m ascent).

There are plenty of other hills around here, but whereas I was happy to drive Colin anywhere, I'm currently sticking to main roads with Bertie, which rather limits my target list for the next week. Still, there are worse places to spend time reading and crocheting!

(Just heard from Mick. As expected, he had a wet day yesterday, but he did manage to while away a couple of hours in the tea room at Bridge of Balgie, which gave him the opportunity to dry a little. Today's most notable incident so far is that a dog peed in his shoe whilst he was packing away this morning. I shouldn't have laughed ... but I did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment