The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 4 March 2007

18 Muddy Miles

An 18.5 mile walk around the local area today, starting off across fields, then resorting to lanes in order to get ourselves onto the tow path of the Trent and Mersey canal for the walk back home.

Water was, once again a big feature of the day. Apart from that falling from the sky (the rain started as we left home and stayed with us for the entire 6 hours that we were walking), the ground has again suffered from the recent rain. The fields around the Trent which had almost drained from their previous lake-like state are now more flooded than ever. All of which meant that the going underfoot was muddy – even the tow path involved a lot of slip-sliding around.

Husband was smugly comfortable in his new Paramo Vasco jacket and his Cascada trews. I was less comfortable in my Wynnster bottoms. Once again, my Buffalo mitts get a round of applause for keeping my hands snugly warm even when they became sodden after all those hours of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment