The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Monday 24 March 2008

Walking Stats

My walking log (which is a series of very simple spreadsheets and not the grand leather bound book that the word ‘log’ may suggest) tells me that by 24 March 2006 I had walked 47 miles over 5 outings.

Last year I had walked 117.5 miles over 9 outings, giving an average mileage of 13 miles per outing.

This year I have walked 183 miles over 21 walks giving a rather low average of just 8.7 miles.

The averages are, of course, deceptive as they are easily skewed by a couple of very short walks.

Of this year’s 183 miles, 70 have been walked in my Scarpa ZG65s (aka my LEJOG boots). Forty have been walked in my Roclites, which are also footwear contenders for the early stages of the walk. I have no recorded stats for my Salomon XA Pro, but they must have done over 100 miles.

I have no conclusions to draw from any of that – I just thought that I would lob it in.

3 comments:

  1. You'll be fine. I get the impression that the start can't come soon enough. Hope Mike's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it an OCD thing I wonder? I too know my cumulative mileages for each of the last eight years from Jan 1st to the start of the TGO Challenge for each year. Weirdly I also know how far I walked in each piece of walking footwear.

    It's a slippery slope Gayle.
    Ever watched 'Monk' on telly?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle, curious that you keep such stats of mileages. AS must be loopy too.
    Have fun though.

    PS My Asolo Fugitives have done precisely 341.5 km so far this year. The Roclites have travelled around the world but only troubled the tarmac for 75 km of that. The Crocs...I think I'd better stop there!

    ReplyDelete