The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 5 August 2008

The Next Big Walk?

It’s an easy leap to make.

You’re listening to the Cape Wrath Podcasts and thinking that you’d like to go and walk that walk.

You’re looking at the weather map and focussing on the bottom right and top left hand corners.

Then you make the leap.

Last weekend I got the road atlas out and just to amuse myself for an hour or so I started looking at route possibilities.

At first glance it's looking like this:

- St Margaret’s
- North Downs Way from Dover to Canterbury
- Somehow up to London
- Grand Union Canal-ish route to Brum
- Over to Penkridge on canals
- Staffs Way to Uxbridge
- Somehow over to Peak District
- Combination of Pennine Bridleway and Pennine Way to Horton
- Over to Cumbria
- North through Cumbria to Carlisle
- Somehow up through the Borders and onwards to East of Glasgow
- A route east of the WHW to Fort William
- The Cape Wrath Trail

Don't get excited (or concerned, in the case of my sister). It's not something that we'll be dashing off to do any time soon.

But, maybe one day…

No comments:

Post a Comment