The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 13 September 2008

The Plan

Here's the vague plan. We've not got a fantastic record for sticking to plans 100% (and we're certainly not going to be purist about the route), but it acts as an outline.

Day 0: Home to St. Bees
Day 1: St. Bees to somewhere around Ennerdale Bridge
Day 2: somewhere around Ennerdale Bridge to Stonethwaite
Day 3: Stonethwaite to Patterdale
Day 4: Patterdale to Shap
Day 5: Shap to Kirkby Stephen
Day 6: Kirkby Stephen to Keld
Day 7: Keld to Keld (weather permitting; if it's nice we'll stay there a day for Mick to walk the bit of the PW that he missed earlier in the year; if it's not nice weather then we'll press on and have a day in Whitby at the end)
Day 8: Keld to Reeth
Day 9: Reeth to Bolton or Brompton-on-Swale
Day 10: B-O-S to Ingleby Cross
Day 11: Ingleby Cross to somewhere around Claybank Top
Day 12: somewhere around Claybank Top to Glaisdale
Day 13: Glaisdale to Robin Hood's Bay

If anyone fancies a day or two of walking with us, then feel free to pitch up.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mick and Gayle,Good luck with your C2C walk-I am really envious and wish I was setting out on it again.Back in June the memories of this fabulous walk came flooding back and I couldn't resist getting back up there and completing the first 2 days again fron St Bees to Borrowdale.I camped at St Bees on the big Caravan and Camping site(Think it was £9 for the night)and the following morning set out for Ennerdale Bridge.I found the first day to be very enjoyable with plenty of variety.Make sureyou stop off at the pub in Cleator and sign the visitors book.The weather was dry but on arriving at Ennerdale Bridge,the heavens opened and it never stopped raining until the next morning.Sadly,I wimped out and sought B & B Accomodation.A couple of places wanted to charge me £50 for one nights stay but luckilly I managed to get in at The Cloggers B & B for £30.Still a lot to pay,but I was well looked after and enjoyed listening to the rain outside.I set out the next morning and walked alongside the path on the left of Ennerdale Water-Possibly very slightly longer but not as rough as the official path on the far side of the Lake.During the long walk through Ennerdale Forest,the thought of reaching Black Sail YH and obtaining refreshments kept me going but imagine my disappointment to find the hostel closed with a sign on the door saying''Closed due to lack of water''Apparently they had had very little rain in the area for several weeks.Anyway,nothing else to do but press on and up Loft Beck and over to Honister.Back in 2007,this was the only place on the whole walk where we went wrong(Drifted off to the left and failed to pick up the correct path)I was gutted as I knew that many people had gone wrong at this point.I had studied the route very carefully and was confident of my navigational abilities but sadly it all went wrong.This time around I got it spot on and was glad to lay to rest the problems of the previous year.Arrived in Honister in pouring rain but by the time I got down to Borrowdale it had gone off and I found a cheap campsite by the main road(Think it could have been the same one that Peewiglet stayed at last Sept on her C2C walk)Bus to Keswick and Windermere the next day and train home frome Windermere station.All in all,a great trip with train to St Bees costing £10 and train from Windermere costing £14.Next year I quite fancy taking the train to Ravenglass and then steam train to Eskdale and walking over Scafell and Scafell Pike with nights camping at Sprinkling Tarn and then carrying on over to Langdale.Think this would make a good trip.Anyway,enjoy the walk and I look forward to reading your reports.Best wishes JEFF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may turn up for a day in the Dales. Her Majesty has gone to sun herself in Indonesia. Look out for a blue P206!
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great walk and enjoy. Hope you do get a bit of sunshine and a view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! Another M&G Live Blog!

    I DO like your red line that turns to green (How does Vic do that?)

    ReplyDelete