The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 6 September 2008

Pootling

I'm sitting aboard Laughton. She's a 60' narrow boat on hire from Braunston. Having boarded her at 4pm or so and after a bit of instruction we set off for three days of leisurely nature-watching and maybe a touch of wine drinking.

Just now we're pootling with a vengeance towards a pub which the boys (who are doing a sterling job of steering) are hoping will be showing the football.

The hire people were rather taken aback that Vic and Juan had walked to Braunston from London. I don't think they get many customers (even local ones) that walk there.

After walking 100 miles in the last week, and before the final 50 miles to Brum, Vic and Juan are now enjoying a weekend off and because it involves a narrow boat they've been joined by me & Mick and Bec and Meuh.

The boat is stunningly well equipped. We have everything we need for a relaxing couple of days.

And thus far we are enjoying the pootling (hopefully the boys are too, even though we've abandonned them at the controls, out in the pissing rain).

As I type we've just pulled alongside. We will be mooring here for the night. I have no idea where 'here' is, but there's a pub a short walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment