The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 26 July 2009

What a good site!

With absolutely no credit to me, and entirely thanks to a link that I saw on a thread on Outdoors Magic, I found my way to a website called ‘Where’s the Path’ this evening. It puts a 1:50k map next to aerial photography, so that you can compare what you see on the map (or more often, don’t see on the map) with what is on the ground.

Pity I wasn’t aware of it a few hours before, when I had Anquet and Google Earth split-screened to have a quick look at a few features of the walk that we’re doing next weekend. The job’s a lot easier when, in pointing at the OS map, you’ve also got a cursor pointing at the exact right bit of the aerial photography.

3 comments:

  1. Good find and thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem

    Try to keep up at the back there

    http://walkaboutuk.blogspot.com/2009/05/links-update.html

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone actually succeeded in printing a route yet? I click the print button, get sent to another page and then everything freezes. Consistently since this site first appeared as above.

    ReplyDelete