The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 9 October 2011

East to West Photos: Day 36

Monday 2 May (0740-1330) (South of Loch Lednock to Killin)
Distance: 13 miles (Tot: 629)
Weather: Increasing cloud (some low level, but still only a tiny amount of cloud overall) still failed to obscure the sun, but much cooler than yesterday

Another sunny morning, and yet I wasn’t getting at all bored of the same weather conditions. The sun wasn’t in the best place for this photo, but it was a view for which I turned around time and time again. The night before we had been pitched just this side of the lump in the middle of the valley.

IMG_1315

A bit of a yomp took us down to Loch Lednock. At some point whilst trudging through the heather I stopped to don my mini-gaiters. I think that it was the only time I wore them in the trip (I only carried them from Inverkeithing):

IMG_2751

Under the blue skies even the concrete block of a building didn’t look like too much of monstrosity from a distance away. On this photo the first little hint of the fire can be seen too, on the right side of the end of the loch.

IMG_2752

The real fire had been on the left side. Acres were burnt off, with some of it still smouldering.

IMG_1323

Good job we hadn’t come this way the day before, as our route went straight through the area which had been in flames the previous afternoon.

IMG_2754

Having cleared the burnt area, and looking back towards Loch Lednock as we paused for second breakfast, it looked like the cloud was rolling in and that we were going to lose the good weather.

IMG_2756

As it went, the cloud stayed behind us all day.

IMG_2761

There was far more uphill than I was expecting as we made our way along, which perhaps is another gentle reminder that I ought to look at the contour lines every now and then.

IMG_2766

Is that an upside-down rabbit on that hillside?

IMG_2768

I’ve been to Killin twice now and I find it a bit of a strange place. Can’t deny that they’ve got an attractive bit of rocky-river running through, though.

IMG_2769

I originally wrote about the day (on a very small keyboard) just here.

No comments:

Post a Comment