The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 16 October 2011

East to West Photos: Day 41

Sat 7 May (0740-1530) (Glen Gour to Resipole)
Distance: 16.5 miles (Tot: 720.5)
Weather: overcast morning, sunny afternoon until about 10 minutes after pitching, when thundery showers started

Glen Gour is a soggy place underfoot, but does have the virtue of a very attractive river, complete with gushing falls:

IMG_2897

And gushing narrows:

IMG_2898

Other bits of it were just a wide river. Looking at this photo it looks fordable at this point, but by the fact that it’s still on our right we obviously decided that it wasn’t, as we really wanted to be on the other side.

IMG_2899

We did eventually get to the other side:

IMG_1395

This is me demonstrating how to do it without falling in. Mick didn’t follow my example.

IMG_1397

By the time we reached the nature reserve on the way into Strontian, I was almost jogging to keep up with Mick. I’d mentioned that there was a Visitor Centre marked on the map and Mick obviously got the thought of a bacon sandwich into his head. It’s usually Mick who complains that I walk too fast.

IMG_2902

From Strontian the rest of our day was a road walk, although it did boast some reasonable sights.

IMG_2906

If you were to click just here you’d find my original the blog post that I typed whilst sitting in the laundry of the campsite at Resipole. We were trapped in that laundry for ages by the rain that had started absolutely lashing down some time after we put the laundry on and that didn’t let up for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment