The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 4 June 2016

Lingmoor and Loughrigg

Saturday 4 June

Lingmoor (NY302046; 469m)
imageThere was a bit of a change in the weather this morning: it was overcast and noticeably humid. The latter feature made me regret (vocally and repeatedly, until Mick told me to shut up) that I hadn't selected shorts as my legwear for this first of two tops today. It also made the going much harder than it has been on all of the recent hot (but low humidity) days.

We weren't out outrageously early, but still early enough to have the hill to ourselves. On the downside, at that time the cloud hadn't had the opportunity to lift and whilst we were well below it, it did mar the views of the surrounding tops.


I was glad to get to this top and not recognise it as I hadn't been 100% sure that we hadn't been up there before

The first people met were when we were paces away from being back down at valley level. Then they came thick and fast.

With 5.2 miles walked, with 1300' of ascent, we arrived back at Colin (parked at Elterwater) in time for elevenses (I was so hungry today that elevenses comprised over 800 calories and I was still ready for lunch an hour later) and in view of how busy our immediate surroundings had become the decision was made to sit out the next few hours, watch the world go by and not set out again until at least mid afternoon.

Loughrigg (NY347051; 335m)
imageHalf past three came, people started returning to the car park from their walks, and we adjudged it a suitable time to set out into what was now a hot and sunny afternoon.

A rather pleasant little walk was had up to this excellent viewpoint, from where we picked out routes we'd taken over surrounding hills. A different path was taken to get us back down (which avoided an excess of descent-to-reascend), forming a lollipop-shaped walk coming in at 3 miles.

Having seen how incredibly busy it is around Elterwater, I'm glad that I stuck around the edges of the Lakes for Bank Holiday week. I'm hoping that next week will be a bit calmer, as most of the rest of the hills on my target list are in more popular areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment