The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Tuesday 19 May 2009

Day 10 - Glen Markie to Glen Clova

Sun 17 May
15 miles

'Did you hear the rain in the night?' asked Mick. I can't say that I noticed it, but I did notice the absence of rain (but the presence of dripping condensation, thanks to the still night) as we got up and packed away.

As if on cue the rain started again the very moment I exited the tent and I was a tad morose at the thought of another day of being wet and cold.

Mick helped my morale with a pep talk ('for goodness sake, pull yourself together, you've got a face like a wet weekend'), and off we set.

As a bonus over yesterday visibility was remarkably improved so we could see the lumpy, heather clad landscape through which we were passing.

As a double bonus, by the time we stopped for elevenses, on a bench by the chapel in Prosen Village, the sky was looking decidedly brighter and I was having thoughts of removing my overtrousers.

A woman who arrived with her Dyson to give the chapel a bit of a fettling before the noon service gave us some (unsolicited but very useful) route advice for the last couple of miles of the day, then we were off again.

The landscape of Glen Prosen is pleasing indeed if lumpy, rough and heathery is your thing, but it was as we broke from a lump of forestry on the way down into Glen Clova that an 'oooh' escaped me. By this time the sky was blue and Glen Clova was looking absolutely stunning. I'm so pleased that we arrived today, with good visibility to allow us to appreciate it.

We were at our destination at just gone 2 and were soon booked into the bunkhouse and once again doing the chores that occupy me when I want to be resting. Still, the chores are now done and as I type this (at 4.30pm) I have my feet up & a cup of tea to hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment