The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 15 July 2015

In reply to comments and other random thoughts

Horses: I've usually no issue with horses. It's been a lot of years since I last felt threatened by one and they're a common occurrence on our walks. So, I can assure everyone that we didn't opt to night hike just because there were a few horses grazing nearby. On this occasion I'm with Conrad's view, in that we had no idea what was in the minds of those horses, but they clearly weren't happy.

Vulture Rock: I did say to Mick as we passed by that if I was to drop down dead just there, then there probably wouldn't be much of me left by the time a recovery team arrived. Mick responded that if you're going to die on a mountain then you may as well benefit the food chain!

Bananas: it was a little shop with very neat bunches of bananas (no odds and sods) where it seemed to me that it would be rude to break some off - so I bought the whole bunch of 6 and we ate them. I do like bananas!

Beer: those who want there to be beer drinking will be disappointed when I remind them that I don't drink and as it's me who writes this, there won't be many mentions of the substance. I did have a very nice lemonade with my meal the other night, but lemonade-o'clock doesn't quite have the same ring, does it? Even if I don't mention it, be assured that Mick is enjoying the odd beer (as he is as I type this).

Eating out: Martin, what would we do without your handy tips? Who ever would have thought there was good food and wine to be had in restaurants in France?!
Unfortunately, we couldn't eat at the place you recommended in St Jean - 'Ferme ce soir', said the sign on the door when we went past this evening.

The Ridge to St Etienne: shame you didn't have good visibility for that bit Conrad - the views were excellent. I'm sure we'll miss views from other lovely bits later on though - this weather can't last.

A couple of other random observations:
1) there's lots of bracken. Sometimes with only the slimmest of paths through and with the greenery at head height. I imagine it would be a different walk a month earlier.

2) if we'd forgotten the mint teabags on this trip it wouldn't have been a problem. So much mint growing along the way. We were particularly amused at a flock of sheep grazing a field of mint. Ready minted mutton?

5 comments:

  1. I started a stampede the other day (actually, I've done it a few times lately) a group of well developed cattle (ie. they didn't appear to be particularly young steers). I'm not usually bothered as they are usually in the other side of a fence, but they were substantial cattle at some speed, heading at a very filmsy looking bit of wire.
    I hurried along.
    I don't even take a dog with me!
    I'm a horse lover and have spent many happy years in their company, but when they are upset by you know not what, you beat a hasty retreat. All animals are totally unpredictable at all times, we have the intelligence to shift!
    I can only do bananas with lashings of cream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not drink (much) but you can certainly eat. OMG that would last me 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, full plates and then some. Mind, you have to keep the calories up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teaching Granny to suck eggs!
    Yes of course there's good food all over France, but our experiences of eating out in the Basque country have been exceptional and I didn't want you to miss out.
    I nearly bought one of those bunches of bananas but decided they were a bit much for one person. You are lucky to have another gobbler with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beer and real food. I can see that Mick is now happy after his deeply upsetting trouser incident of the first day.

    ReplyDelete