The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 7 May 2008

Day 23 - Rest Day Hay-on-Wye

I wasn't going to post anything today, with it being a rest day. However, I find that I can't let the day go by without giving a mention to the River Cafe in Glasbury Bridge - and not in a good way.

This being the nearest eating place to where we're staying we ambled the mile and a half down there this morning for a late breakfast.

The service was absolutely appalling. We waited so long after asking for a menu that I gave up waiting and walked down the road, bought a flapjack from the post office, ate it and walked back before the news came back that there wasn't a menu but we could have whatever breakfast we wanted (really, thirty minutes to decide that there is no menu? and I really was hungry enough to eat a scabby dog, and according to Mick a little bit crabby with it).

The shocking service was not what warranted the mention though.

When we finally established that there was no breakfast menu, we asked for three Full English and one Veggie Full English - with the clarification what I was quite happy with the usual Full but with an extra egg substituted for the meat items.

Finally (after much audible and quite profane swearing from the kitchen) four breakfasts appeared.

'The Vegetarian one' they said first. I indicated that it was mine and down it was placed. The other three breakfasts appeared. Then, having checked that I didn't have the wrong one, the waitress was called back to clarify an issue.
Apparently, in the world of the Glasbury River Cafe, bacon is a substance suitable for vegetarians whereas sausages are meat and get substituted by an egg...

..Oh dear.

If I was actually a vegetarian I could have been quite upset by the issue.

(by the way, reports from the others was that the bacon was very nice indeed - particular the extra rashers they got off my plate).

No comments:

Post a Comment