The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 16 May 2008

Killer dogs - A Different Perspective

Hi all, this is Husband calling. I've been given permission by SWMBO to post my own entry onto the blog, so I think that it is only fair that I tell the truth about these 'killer dogs'.

Gayle's definition of killer dog and mine differ somewhat. I believe that if I have to fend off one or more snarling, snapping canines with the pointy ends of my Pacer poles whilst carrying out wife-protection duties and looking around desperately for a suitable escape route at the same time then it is appropriate to classify the offending beasts as 'killer dogs'. However, Gayle's perception is somewhat different to mine: they only have to be from the canine family. I offer the following as an example:

As we were strolling along a country lane during the mid-morning only last week, Gayle suddenly starts to squeal something about a killer dog bearing down upon us and immediately adopts the 'let's use Mick as a shield' position. I spot the Baskervillian creature as it came tearing round the corner of a nearby drive, making a bee-line straight for us; its teeth bared; its floppy ears bouncing; its tail wagging furously; I hear its quiet barking (mewing really) and its [literally] puppy dog eyes sparkling. The Springer puppy could hardly get any closer to the ground as it timidly slunk towards us and rolled over for me to rub its tummy. The frantic tail-wagging made it difficult for it to stand up. I get a severe licking of the hand and have made a friend for life. It jumped up and bounced along the road with us like Tigger. I now understand why they are called Springer spaniels.

This lovely little chap was classified as a 'potential' killer dog by Gayle. Really, I ask you!

Now Friesian cows , they really are sneaky.....

No comments:

Post a Comment