The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 1 May 2008

Week 2 - Random Thoughts

Total distance so far: 254 miles

We're now two and a half weeks in and the good news is that we're still having a fantastic time. Even on the days when the feet ache a tad, we sit in the tent at the end of it and look back favourably on the day. Long may that continue.

News on the hair front is that Husband's beard is taking on real beardiness proportions now and that my half inch locks are getting noticeably longer. I'll be needing to find a barber soon as I've got too used to not needing a hair brush to even think about growing it again just yet!

A few more thoughts on the gear front:

Tilley Hat: absolutely love my Tilley. So glad that I finally got one. It's comfy (so much so that I keep forgetting to take it off), it keeps the sun off, and as an added bonus, in moderate rain it's much more satisfactory than a hood.

OMM Villain backpack: Another item with which I'm very happy. On the whole it has, thus far, been way more comfortable than any other pack I've used. Every now and then, and for reasons that I can't fathom (I've tried all sorts of adjustments), it starts to cripple my left shoulder (only ever the left). I take it off for five minutes and it'll be fine after that. The only other downside is with using my thermarest as the back-pad - when it rains, my thermarest gets rather wet; I'm working on a way of solving that.

Inov8 Roclites: They only have to last three more days. Just 50 or so more miles. Fingers crossed that they make it, although it's certain that they will be going in a bin once I pick up my boots. If it wasn't for the durability issue I would have become an Inov8 convert over the last couple of weeks, but £65 for 300 miles of wear (assuming they get there) is a bit steep in my book.

Extremities Powerstretch Gloves: Not impressed at all. These were bought the week before Christmas. In the middle of February a finger came unstitched. I took the sewing machine to it and it was duly mended. Now I find myself with my right glove having a detatched thumb for the same reason. The sewing kit will be coming out again and next time I need a pair of gloves it will be of a different brand. No problem with Husband's Rab Powerstretch ones.

1 comment:

  1. I use a 'Rubble Bag', tougher than a garden waste bag and not gussetted, to keep my folded Thermarest dry.

    ReplyDelete