The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Saturday 24 May 2008

Day 40 - Rest Day Halifax

24 May
Distance: 0 miles

Royal Mail has let me down. A parcel was posted by my sister last Tuesday. It contained my brand new Icebreaker top to replace my Smelly Helly and it contained a tube of Gehwol Extra foot cream. That parcel has not arrived. £40 worth of brand new goods lost somewhere in the Royal Mail system. I am not amused.

I think that I'm more distressed about the absence of the foot cream than the smell-free top. How will we get through a week before the next parcel without the nice footcream? It's our treat at the end of each day.

Better news is that CityLink did their job with Mick's boots and they arrived without a hitch. Mick's been wearing them all day, but there's no escaping the fact that tomorrow he'll be in the unpleasant position of wearing brand new boots to walk 18 miles. His Salomons won't be coming with him this time; they've done well to cover 600 miles, but they are now completely dead. So tomorrow, he will be putting full faith in his boots.

It being a rest day a few errands have been run. The first and most important task of the day was to get my hair cut. It had grown remarkably over the last six weeks and hat-hair was becoming an issue. So today I visited a barber and asked for a grade 4 all over. It seems that the gradings are shorter up here. I am scalped! Still, it'll soon grow back.

As for Mick, the hair on his chin is now longer than the hair on his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment