The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 27 April 2008

Feet and Food

There are some people reading this, who rather cruelly perhaps, are itching for news of crippling blisters, chafing of parts that should not chafe, and similar discomforts.

Almost two weeks in and the blister count so far is three and all of those are mine. Sorry to disappoint but they have also all been very small indeed.

On Day 7 without me noticing I got a blister on the same place on the underside of each heel. About the size of two pinheads they were hardly enough to write home about and they were soon dealt with.

A couple of days ago a third blister appeared on a toe in such a position that I can only assume that it was caused by a bit of grit in my sock. Again, there was no pain involved (at least not until I decided last night that I should burst it!).

The only other foot ailments are the bruised little toe nail caused by the now-departed toe-eating shoes and a numbness of the underside of the big toe on my right foot. I seem to recall having read of someone else who had the same numbness affliction. I recall not whether it's a permanent condition or whether I can expect the feeling back at some point in the future. Either way, there are worse things that can happen than a bit of numbness in a toe.

Mixing feet and food, I'm pleased to say that we're not wasting away yet. In fact, I've been eating so much that with 200 miles down I wouldn't be surprised if I've put on weight.

The average day sees us consume first breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea and tea!

On the subject of food all of our dehydrated meals have worked very well. Thanks to the tip given by Peewiglet on a forum a few years ago, which tip related to the mixing of Beanfeast and mash, we've found that both Shepherd and lentil stew are very tasty when mixed with Smash. You just have to make sure that you don't pay too much heed to what it looks like!

Husband declared that Thai Green Turkey and Smash was a slightly less successful combination...

2 comments:

  1. 200 miles already - well done! The green line on your map is getting visibly longer by the day. All those B&B meals and beer must be helping. I notice there are no photos on the blog - perhaps that's asking too much from your portable kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The portable blogging kit doesn't stretch to photos, but we are hoping to get some up on the blog over the next couple of weeks - so watch this space!

    ReplyDelete