The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Thursday 10 April 2008

...Gone Tomorrow

I’ve never before met a hairdresser who was genuinely excited to be cutting my hair*.

I’ve never before left a hairdresser with more money than I went in with.

Both happened today.

The barber in question is Blades in Burton-on-Trent, who very kindly offered not only to cut my hair for free, but also volunteered a donation to Macmillan.

There was none of the usual faffing with having my hair washed (I really can’t abide the massage thing that hair-washers will do, so that was a bonus), it was straight into a cape and into the chair.

The first snip took off my pony tail.

Then out came the shears.

This morning my hair was 12 inches long. It’s now half an inch long.

As promised, here are the before and afters:



This morning:

During:

After:

And an after caught mid-laugh (Husband had just said something very rude!)


A few people have been quite distressed at the thought of my hair going. To those people, please be assured (and I cannot stress this enough): it will grow back!


(*She’s apparently never had the experience of taking the clippers to a woman's foot long hair before!)

5 comments:

  1. O.k. Gayle...I always knew that you where serious about your walk. Today has shown me how serious and determined you are!
    Enjoy the practicality of your new haircut and don't forget to add a warmer cap and more suncream to your gear. You will freeze sooner and get sunburn more easily on places you haven't thought of before (neck, top of your ears etc.).
    And who knows..you might get used to the new look and keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle, you've gone all Riply from Alien 3 on use!!!

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will look great with one of Eddie Meecham's night-time beards..

    Coo.

    That was a surprise, even though we were expecting it!

    And what haircut is Mick sporting just now? Has he gone for the same style?

    The clock is ticking....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Gayle!! Welcome to my world!!

    You really ARE taking the whole lightweight concept seriously!!

    Best of luck on the trip.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day and a half in and I'm getting used to the new haircut. Yesterday I spent most of the day feeling like my hair was tied back in a ponytail and being surprised that it wasn't tickling my neck.

    Washing it was sheer joy, drying it took a rub of a towel and I've had no call for a hair brush. :-)

    In the name of lightweight research I would have brought the lopped hair home and weighed it, but Mick thought that was just too sad...

    Oh, and Mick is sporting a Grade 2 (mine's a Grade 4). It makes him look quite a thug, you know...

    ReplyDelete