The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 11 April 2008

Sunshine or Showers?

Whenever I’ve pictured us setting off from Land’s End my mind has had the day as being grey and wet. As much as everyone is wishing us good weather for the trip, I don’t think that we can realistically hope for three months of fineness* and my inbuilt pessimism has had me assume that we’ll start in a downpour.

Looking at the weather forecast for next week is a pointless exercise. The weather will be what the weather will be and it will have absolutely no bearing on our plans. If it’s torrential rain we will set out in it the same as if it was blazing sunshine (granted, the outer layers may differ a little). Moreover, I never trust a forecast given more than a couple of days in advance.

However, Husband couldn’t resist a peek at Metcheck’s predictions and what he found was a pleasant read. Tuesday and Wednesday will allegedly involve sunniness and a lack of rain.

I’ll gloss over the longer range forecast for the rest of next week and into the week after and focus on the good.

(*and if we did have a freak dry spell then it could cause drinking water problems, so call me fussy, but I’d like it dry, warm and overcast in the day and a bit rainy at night).

3 comments:

  1. As Billy Connolly said, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Just to say, safe journey to Lands End and look forward to reading your posts. I'm really envious. This time next year, I'll be a week into my LEJOG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on your walk you two. I'm looking forward to reading your blog and will be updating listeners every now and again about your progress, starting with a send off in Monday's show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As they say in northern New England, have a wicked fine time on your LEJOG. I envy you both the walk itself and the walking together.

    ReplyDelete