The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Friday 11 April 2008

An Unexpected Letter

I got home today to find a House of Commons envelope on my front door mat. That could only mean one thing: a response to the letter I sent to my MP regarding the wild camping issue.

I sent my letter on 28 January. The response was dated 7 April. It took a while, but at least I have a response.

As well as apologising for the delay, my MP reports that she has raised the issue with Jonathan Shaw MP at DEFRA to ask him if the government has any plans to bring England into line with Scotland in this matter.

She provided me with a copy of her letter to Jonathan Shaw, in which she does point out that the current position between the two countries is inconsistent.

I expect that the next response, if one is forthcoming, will be predictable (‘oh yes, but Scotland is different’), but let’s wait and see.

Whilst waiting for this response the number of names on the petition has risen from a couple of hundred to over a thousand. If yours isn’t on there and you’re eligible to sign, please consider adding your name. You’ll find the petition here.

2 comments:

  1. ...we called, but you were out walking the length of England & Scotland for charity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you all the best. Maybe we ought to encourage all the blogging folk to drop a few coins in the collection tin. Dawn

    ReplyDelete