The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Wednesday 9 April 2008

Hair Today...

For many a year now I’ve worn my hair long. It’s not a vanity thing, it’s laziness; to wear my hair long means that I can tie it back and not have to mess about with hair driers and styling. It also means that I can get away with going for months without a visit to the hairdresser (I’m not a girl that enjoys a trip to the hairdresser).

Whilst long hair is fine for sitting in an office, I find it far less than practical when walking. For one thing, it’s constantly in my face. “Tie it back” is the oft-given advice, but my hair has an escapist attitude. I can tie it back and put a buff over most of it and strands will still escape to try to blind me on a hill-top.

Then there’s the way it manages to tie itself in almost unfathomable knots when it’s whipped about by the wind.

Then there’s the practicality of washing long hair in campsite showers. The more hair there is the more water it will hold and the more water it will drip over you as you try to get dry. It demands a towel all of its own and that’s just extra weight.

Then there’s the quantity of shampoo needed to wash it and the time it takes to dry.

So, to my mind, it’s not practical for me to have long hair and to walk for three months.

Tomorrow I will be visiting the barber. Before and after photos will follow.

6 comments:

  1. You'll regret it.

    And bang goes that profile pic then
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it Samson who lost all his strength with the loss of his locks?

    Dry some extra spinnach for Popeye super-strength, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for a no. 1. You know it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every gram counts! Think how much easier it would have been for Al without that beard !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the beard, Andy

    Actually I was way ahead of Eddie Meechan with this one - the beard was my replacement moose nose so I slept warmly at night.

    There's a thought Gayle: Buy a false beard to wear at night: Very lightweight and cosy - a real 'turn on' for Mick as he rolls over to kiss you 'goodnight' last thing in Wendy's bossom? perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. John - No regrets so far. Definitely feeling like it's a practical cut and people are even saying that it suits me (even people who have no reason to be unnecessarily polite to me!)

    I don't think that it's a 'style' (using the term loosely) that I'll adopt for the long-term so I think that I'll leave my profile pic as it is...

    ReplyDelete