The Road goes ever on and on; Down from the door where it began;
Now far ahead the Road has gone; And I must follow, if I can;
Pursuing it with eager feet; Until it joins some larger way;
Where many paths and errands met; And whither then? I cannot say.

[JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings]

Sunday 6 April 2008

Pre-LEJOG Accommodation

This morning I thought that I’d quickly check the bus times to get us from Penzance to Land’s End next week. A two minute task, I thought.

Except that bus times weren’t quite working out, so I thought that it would be better to get ourselves to somewhere in the vicinity of Land’s End the night before.

The first B&B that we tried (oh yes, I win and get a real bed the night before we set out!) was already booked. That was a shame as it’s the nearest to Land’s End and would only have added a negligible few minutes onto our first day.

They were, however, able to give us details of another,
just up the road. That one came up trumps.

I’ve no idea why I didn’t sort all of this out at the same time as I booked the train tickets (for it would certainly have had a bearing on the time of train that I chose), but at least it’s sorted now.

Then the question arose as to whether we start the walk on the Monday evening rather than Tuesday morning, walking as far as the B&B, which would give us a first day of … a whole two thirds of a mile!

Even though it wouldn’t be cheating in any way, it just doesn’t feel like it would be right. So, we will instead add 0.66 miles onto our first day (unless, by chance, someone offers us a lift from the B&B to Land’s End).

Another task off the to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment